[B-Greek] Ephesians 2:8 TOUTO

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Thu Jan 30 15:10:35 EST 2003

At 12:40 PM -0800 1/30/03, Harry  W. Jones wrote:
>Hello,
>
>In Eph. 2:8 THi GAR CARITI ESTE SESWSMENOI DIA PISTEWS; KAI TOUTO OUK EX
>hUMWN, QEOU TO DWRON. What would be the antecedent of TOUTO?
>
>This really has me puzzled. So any help would be appreciated.

This has in fact been discussed many times on the list. When the neuter
demonstrative is used like this, it quite commonly refers back to a whole
idea in what precedes; I have always held that the antecedent is not CARITI
and not PISTEWS (although arguments have been adduced for that) but either
the entire clause THi GAR CARITI ... DIA PISTEWS or else the essential
predicate of that clause, ESTE SESWiSMENOI. Wallace GGBB pp. 334-5
discusses four alternatives for understanding the TOUTO.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/