Fwd: Re: [B-Greek] Col. 1:3

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Thu Jan 30 10:52:27 EST 2003

I have been asked to expand and justify my brief response to Bert de Haan's
question about Col 1:3:

>From: "Carl W. Conrad" <cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu>
>Subject: Re: [B-Greek] Col. 1:3
>
>At 9:03 PM -0500 1/29/03, <bertdehaan at gosympatico.ca> wrote:
>>Col.1:3 reads; EUCARISTOUMEN TWi QEWi PATRI TOU KURIOU hHMWN IHSOU CRISTOU
>>PANTOTE PERI hUMWN PROSEUCOMENOI
>>Is there any way in which the Greek indicates whether PANTOTE belongs to
>>what precedes it (EUCARISTOUMEN PANTOTE)or to what follows it (PANTOTE
>>PROSEUCOMENOI)? Thank you.
>
>I would construe the PANTOTE with EUCARISTOUMEN: "We thank God ... for you
>every time--when we pray"
>--

Here's the text about which the question was raised: with which verb
PANTOTE should be construed: EUCARISTOUMEN or PROSEUCOMENOI.

Col 1:3 EUCARISTOUMEN TWi QEWi PATRI TOU KURIOU hHMWN IHSOU CRISTOU PANTOTE
PERI hUMWN PROSEUCOMENOI

Now I guess the question I would first ask is, in this formulary part of
the basic salutation of the Pauline letter, what is the author saying: that
he prays for/about the addressees constantly, or that he thanks God for
them when he prays? It may seem like it amounts to the same thing, but it
seems to me that, regardless of whether PANTOTE could conceivably construe
with PROSEUCOMENOI (and I wouldn't really dispute that's possible) the
following passages demonstrate pretty conclusively that either the adverb
PANTOTE or an equivalent expression accompanies the verb EUCARISTEW in this
formula regularly.

1 Cor 1:4 EUCARISTW TWi QEWi MOU PANTOTE PERI hUMWN ...

Eph 1:16 OU PAUOMAI EUCARISTWN hUPER hUMWN MNEIAN POIOUMENOS EPI TWN
PROSEUCWN MOU (OU PAUOMAI EUCARISTWN hUPER hUMWN = PANTOTE EUCARISTWN hUPER
hUMWN)

Eph 5:20 EUCARISTOUNTES PANTOTE hUPER PANTWN

Phil 1:3 EUCARISTWi TWi QEWi MOU EPI PASHi THi MNEIAi hUMWN ... (EPI PASHi
THi MNEIAi hUMWN = PANTOTE hUPER hUMWN)

1 Th 1:2 EUCARISTOUMEN TWi QEWi PANTOTE PERI PANTWN hUMWN MNEIAN POIOUMENOI
EPI TWN PROSEUCWN hHMWN, ...

1 Th 2:13 KAI DIA TOUTO KAI hHMEIS EUCARISTOUMEN TWi QEWi ADIALEIPTWS,
followed by a hOTI clause stating what the Thessalonian congregation did to
make Paul thank God incessantly)

2 Th 1:3 EUCARISTEIN OFEILOMEN TWi QEWi PANTOTE PERI hUMWN, ...

1 Th 2:13 hHMEIS DE OFEILOMEN EUCARISTEIN TWi QEWi PANTOTE PERI hUMWN ...

All of which is to say, that is the Pauline formula: it's not so much that
he prays for his addresses all the time as that, when he prays, he thanks
God for them every time.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/