[B-Greek] Gen 32:30 GOT (32:29 in English) anddemonstrative

Albert Pietersma albert.pietersma at sympatico.ca
Wed Jan 29 14:57:53 EST 2003

Polycarp66 at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/29/2003 2:26:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> iver_larsen at sil.org writes:
>
> > >Perhaps it was simply an attempt to preserve the wording of the
> > >Hebrew text, without particular regard for what would sound natural in
> > Greek.
> > >(I seem to remember seeing that sort of thing happen in one or two English
> > >translations :-)
> >
> > Oh, yes, and that peculiar dialect of English we sometimes call Biblish. So
> > what shall we name this kind if Hebraic Greek? Hebreek?
> >

> Or how about Greebrew?

There is a serious point to be made, though. Since in many cases translation
Greek is at odds with spoken / written usage, one cannot speak of a given
DIALECT of Greek. Instead these are solutions to perceived translational
problems. Hence one might more appropriately speak of Translation Greek, or
simply translationese.
Al