[B-Greek] Those pesky "subscribe" requests (finally? ...)

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Wed Jan 29 14:17:59 EST 2003

This is a HOPEFUL announcement and simultaneously a test!

Yesterday, I wrote:

>Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 06:42:18 -0500
>To: "'Biblical Greek'" <b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org>
>From: "Carl W. Conrad" <cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu>
>Subject: [B-Greek] Those pesky "subscribe" requests
>
>I think most list-members who have posted to the new list since yesterday's
>change of venue have had the experience described in George Somsel's note
>to me below:
>
>>Carl,
>>
>>Since the changeover I'm still getting messages from the franklin site
>>saying my subscribe request failed since I'm already subscribed.  Also,
>>there have been messages from franklin saying that I lacked administrator
>>privileges so my post was being sent to the list.
>>
>>When will this be straightened out?  It's no real problem -- just a minor
>>annoyance, but it would be nice to know something.
>
>I just discovered, almost by accident the reason for this; listed on the
>membership list transferred to the new site was the e-address
>
>b-greek at franklin.metalab.unc.edu
>
>What that means is that one copy of each message posted to the list has
>been going automatically to the old list address. That will happen no
>longer, since I've removed that "member." And hopefully that will end this
>particular annoyance. It will take us a while, folks, to iron out all the
>wrinkles--and some of them may not get ironed out at all ... But there is
>hope ...

Immediately after sending that message to the list yesterday early in the
morning EST, I received yet again, as I have to every message sent to the
list up to this one, yet another notice such as George describes above.
Further investigation has brought to light that we had a subscriber whose
e-address was transferred from the franklin.oit.unc.edu site to our new
MailMan member-list, to wit, one "subscribe-b-greek at franklin.oit.unc.edu."
That member has now been discharged and exiled to the nether darkness,
wherefore there is reason to hope that another little kink has been
straightened out. We shall see.

Co-Chair, B-Greek List
cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/