[B-Greek] TACEWS, 1 Cor 4:19a

toseland at blueyonder.co.uk toseland at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jan 29 10:28:59 EST 2003

1 Cor 4:19a ELEUSOMAI DE TACEWS PROS hUMAS, EAN hO KURIOS QELHSHi

In 1 Cor 4:19 Paul says that he will come to Corinth "without Delay",
or "as soon as possible" (TACEWS). Yet in 16:5-9 he says he will stay
in Ephesus until Pentecost, then, though he could have gone first to
Corinth, he will go first to Macedonia, and will hopefully spend the
winter in Corinth. I am not alone in finding this surprising. In light
of 16:5-9, 4:19 seems a little misleading; there is a definite tension
between these two passages. I think maybe when he wrote 4:19, Paul
intended to go directly to Corinth after Pentecost, and from there to
Macedonia. But as he continued with the letter, he was given cause to
change his mind.

So, I would like to support this hypothesis by arguing that, if he had
meant to say, "I will come to you presently", but without the added
nuance of "as soon as possible", he could have better worded 4:19a.
But I haven't been able to find a simple substitution for TACEWS,
though maybe there is one.

Hypothetically, then, how might Paul have conveyed this meaning?

Many thanks.

Paul Toseland