[B-Greek] Gen 32:30 GOT (32:29 in English) and demonstrative

Trevor Peterson 06PETERSON at cua.edu
Wed Jan 29 08:28:31 EST 2003

>===== Original Message From "Carl W. Conrad" <cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu>
=====
>I'm not altogether sure what your question is here; hINA TI (often written
>as one word, hINATI) is used by many Koine writers for DIA TI and certainly
>does correspond to the LMH of the MT;

No problem there.

>but apparently you're asking about
>TOUTO, which, understood in terms of ordinary Greek syntax, would be
>demonstrative with  TO  ONOMA MOU, "Why are you asking this name of mine?"
>whereas the Hebrew seems more literally to be "Why are you asking this
>(question) respecting my name?"
>
>I'm not at all sure that that TOUTO ... TO ONOMA MOU is as odd as you
>suppose it to be.

But if it's not odd, you would in fact construe the demonstrative with TO
ONOMA (as in your gloss above), correct? In Hebrew, this is not really an
option. Basically, I'm trying to get a sense of what the translator was doing.
Hebrew has a construction that adds a demonstrative to an interrogative,
wherein the demonstrative does not seem to function in its normal capacity.
I'm just trying to make sure I understand what the Greek actually says. It is
a rather word-for-word translation (I can see that much), but it doesn't seem
to me that it does the same thing as the Hebrew construction. If the
demonstrative in Greek is to be construed with the object, I'd say it's
definitely a departure from the Hebrew meaning.

Thanks,
Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics