[B-Greek] periphrastic participles with hUPARCW

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Tue Jan 28 09:49:38 EST 2003

At 8:16 AM -0600 1/28/03, Eric Weiss wrote:
>Acts 8:16 has two periphrastic participles, the first with EIMI (HN ...
>EPIPEPTWKOS) and the second with hUPARCW (BEBAPTISMENOI hUPARCON). I
>don't have computer-based software to check this, but do periphrastic
>participles with EIMI normally have EIMI precede the participle (as
>here), but those with hUPARCW normally follow the participle (as here)?
>And what is the normal pattern/order for periphrastic participles that
>use GINOMAI -- i.e., does GINOMAI precede or follow the participle?

Eric, you might want to check Wallace GGBB, pp. 647-650 on periphrastics.
My impression is that, although the auxiliary verb more often precedes than
follows the participle, that's not always the case. As for hUPARCW, I can
only find one other instance of it used as an auxiliar to form a
periphrastic apart form the verse you cite (Acts 8:16), namely Acts 19:36
DEON ESTIN hUMAS KATESTALMENOUS hUPARCEIN KAI MHDEN PROPETES PRASSEIN. One
might very well argue that KATESTALMENOUS in this instance is more a
predicate word than part of a periphrastic construction. "You must be in an
unperturbed condition."

Consider too BDAG s.v. hUPARCW "2. to be in a state or circumstance, be as
a widely used substitute in H. Gk. for EINAI, but in some of the foll.
pass. the sense 'be inherently (so)' or 'be really' cannot be excluded ... "

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/