[B-Greek] John 4:23-24

Polycarp66 at aol.com Polycarp66 at aol.com
Tue Jan 28 06:07:31 EST 2003

In a message dated 1/28/2003 4:02:13 AM Eastern Standard Time,
translate at biblesociety.co.za writes:

> While looking at Joseph Haigler's question I noticed something else that
> seems strange to me.  Why is the complement of PROSKUNEW first dative, then
> accusative?
>
> v.23 PROSKUNHSOUSIN TWi PATRI (dat.) and then TOUS PROSKUNOUNTAS AUTON
> (acc.)
> v.24 TOUS PROSKUNOUNTAS AUTON (acc.)
>
> Is this usual, or is there a difference in meaning, or are these just two
> equally valid options (six of one or half a dozen of the other ...)?

It would seem that the earlier usage was the acc. with PROSKUNEW  while later
practice became to use the dat.  In the meantime you have a mixture as in our
text.  This is not peculiar to the NT.  In Josephus' Antiquities 6.154 he has

hO SAOULOS ASEBHSAI MEN ELEGEN, AGENHTA DE POIHSAI TA PEPRAGMENA MH DUNASQAI;
TIMHSAI GE MHN AUTON PAREKALEI TOU PLHQOUS hOWNTOS SUN AUTWi PARAGENOMENON
*** TON QEON PROSKUNHSAI ***.  DIDWSI DE TOUTO SAMUHLOS AUTWi KAI SUNELQWN
*** PROKUNEI TWi QEWi ***.

I wouldn't attach any particular significance to this.

gfsomsel