[B-Greek] Hebrews 11:19 Redux

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Mon Jan 27 20:28:00 EST 2003

At 6:14 PM -0500 1/27/03, Jim West wrote:
>At 05:52 PM 1/27/03 -0500, you wrote:
>

>>But since the standard form of the verb is m-p (middle-passive) can any
>>special
>>meaning be ascribed to Heb 11:19 based on  the m-p form of the verb??
>>Al
>
>perhaps not.  but the fact that the verb is m-p normally does not
>necessarily make its sense as a m-p irrelevent.  i think that the normal
>form of the verb is as important as its other forms.  if the standard form
>is m-p i dont think its an exaggeration to note the m-p character of its
>usage.

While I'm not sure that what Jim is saying about this is the same as what I
would want to say, I'll go ahead with my own response: I think that the
verb LOGIZOMAI has a middle-voice form is significant to the extent that
this is the proper voice to express the degree of self-interest involve in
this "reckoning" by Abraham. Heb. 11:19 LOGISAMENOS hOTI KAI EK NEKRWN
EGEIREIN DUNATOS hO QEOS, hOQEN AUTON KAI EN PARABOLHi EKOMISATO. Although
I normally wouldn't want to draw an exegetical linkage between Hebrews and
Paul in Romans, I think it is interesting that in Rom 4:17 Abraham's PISTIS
in the face of TO hEAUTOU SWMA NENEKRWMENON and THN NEKRWSIN THS MHTRAS
SARRAS, reckoned upon God's power to make what is dead alive and call into
being what is not KATENANTI hOU EPISTEUSEN QEOU TOU ZWiOPOIOUNTOS TOUS
NEKROUS KAI KALOUNTOS TA MH ONTA hWS ONTA.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/