[B-Greek] Hebrews 11:19 Redux

Jim West jwest at highland.net
Mon Jan 27 16:58:07 EST 2003

At 04:46 PM 1/27/03 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi,
>I know this list os more grammatical than theological, but sometimes the two
>are so closely intertwined that it is hard to distinguish. So, I am trying
>to keep this post as grammatical as possible. I had already asked about
>logizomai in Heb. 11:19. I understand that it can mean anything from  "to
>think" to "to reason or deduce."  Since this verse is in the midst of a
>context of pistis, is not reasonable to conclude that the pistis described
>is related to logizomai? In other words, that faith is reasonable and
>rational? Thanks, Matthew R. Miller

william lane, in his *word biblical commentary* on hebrews notes that the
middle voice of logisamenos places the stress on the subject.  i.e.,
abraham. and translates *abraham considered*

what is it that abraham considered?  that God was able to raise up isaac if
he so wished.  this "conviction" made it possible for him to receive him back.

so, yes, i think it is quite alright to say that logizomai in this context
can be understood as you say.

best

jim

Jim West, ThD