[B-greek] Alexamenos Graffito

Kevin Woodruff cierpke at prodigy.net
Mon Jan 27 10:16:33 EST 2003

The best description of the famous Alexamenos-graffito
is in "Graffiti del Palatino I. Paedagogium", a cura
di Heikki Solin e Marja Itkonen-Kaila, Acta Instituti
Romani Finlandiae III, Helsinki 1966, No 246. The
graffito was discovered on the NW wall of the room 7
of the so-called Paedagogium (a probable school for
the servants of the Imperial Palaces) which was
situated on the south-west slope of the Palatine Hill,
towards the Circus Maximus.

A discussion of this grafitti can be found at:
http://www.ku.edu/history/index/europe/ancient_rome/E/Gazetteer/Places/Europe/Italy/Lazio/Roma/Rome/.Texts/Lanciani/LANARD/5*.html

Kevin