[B-Greek] logizomai: Hebrews 11:19

Clwinbery at aol.com Clwinbery at aol.com
Mon Jan 27 00:24:48 EST 2003

In a message dated 1/26/03 10:58:23 PM, biblicalscribe at hotmail.com writes:

>In terms of the verb logizomai, which I know is at least in Hebrews 11:19,
>
>how is it best translated? How often does it occur in the NT? Thanks!
>Matthew Miller

The verse you refer to reads:  Heb. 11:19 LOGISAMENOS hOTI KAI EK NEKRWN
EGEIREIN DUNAROS hO QEOS, hOQEN AUTON KAI EN PARABOLHi EKOMISATO.

LOGIZOMAI can indicate consideration, reckoning, keeping a record, even
believing in a way. In this verse I would render it "considering that . . ."
or "He believed that God was able to raise the dead, therefore he received
him back parabolically speaking."

Carlton Winbery,
Louisiana College