[B-greek] EXELQE in Mark 1:25

Steven R. Lo Vullo slovullo at mac.com
Sun Jan 26 17:20:13 EST 2003

On Sunday, January 26, 2003, at 03:28 PM, <bertdehaan at gosympatico.ca>
wrote:

> I don't understand EXELQE in Mark 1:25. It looks like a present
> imperative with an aorist tense stem. I read this in a graded reader
> but it did not have a note attached so I am assuming it is quite
> regular.  What am I missing? (My questions must be very basic to many
> of you ,but I won't know if I don't ask. Thanks for bearing with me, I
> appreciate your replies.)

Greetings, Bert:

You are correct in your determination that we are dealing here with an
aorist stem. You are also correct to note that the personal ending
looks like that of a present imperative. The key here is that the stem
is a **second** aorist stem. The second aorist imperative is built on a
second aorist stem with the same endings as the present imperative. It
is the stem that will be the key to distinguishing between present and
aorist.