[B-greek] Re: Proposed FAQ/Info page for MailMan bg site

Jonathan Robie jonathan.robie at datadirect-technologies.com
Sun Jan 26 06:54:31 EST 2003

Hi Carl, Carlton,

It looks like ibiblio did their part, and it is time for me to do mine. I
just sent a test post to b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org, and it arrived.

I think I should send a post to both b-greek lists announcing the
changeover, and asking people to send posts to the new server in the
future. I also would like to do an edit on the page you wrote - but we
still need a page at the location of our current B-Greek home page, if only
to trigger indexing of the archives by external search engines like Google,
an important way to let people find B-Greek.

More comments below.

At 02:06 PM 1/25/2003 -0500, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>Although we tentatively approved Thursday, Jan 23 for migration from the
>Lyris software and site to the new Mailman site, nothing happened. I don't
>know whether this is something we were supposed to do and didn't or what.
>Nevertheless I've been toying with the pages already set up for B-Greek
>using the MailMan software. One thing I've done is mark four individual
>members for permanent moderation: Jim West, Ted Mann, Harry Smith, and Bill
>Ross (who evidently re-joined but hasn't tried to post since we expelled
>him--he was just expelled form another list ("bibexegesis") for repeatedly
>posting false statements about Greek grammar). There are a couple others
>who repeatedly post theological stuff and I think probably ought to have
>the same status: one with e-address "DunamisTheou at aol.com" and another
>"translate at biblesociety.co.za" as well as "Jonathan B. Ferguson "
><Kjvonly16 at aol.com>. There are several people that I put on moderation
>because they kept sending in MIME/HTML messages, but my understanding is
>that we can avoid that problem altogether by fixing the setting in the
>Mailman software to convert such messages into plain-text ASCII and strip
>the HTML formatting from multi-part messages.

Yes.

>Oh, there are some other strange and questionable? addresses on our
>membership list; I've wondered whether some of them may be spam-harvesting
>items, but I don't know--funny and rather unsavory stuff; these people
>didn't post real names in the required slot in the Lyris personal settings
>for members:
>
>Blowjob_movie-eiumtr at juno.com
>broadcast-manager at kompascyber.com
>feedback at popcorn.co.uk
>Georgie at bennett5.freeserve.co.uk
>raggedrelease at hotmail.com
>TuesdayFun at quickinspirations.com

OK, I sent them a name.

>Finally a big item. The list info page for B-Greek at the new site is:

But the actual address will change to:

This should be treated as a subscription page, like the old subscribe page.

>I've attempted to recompose that page incorporating our FAQ in a revised
>format to reflect the new software options; assuming that we don't have the
>MIME/HTML problem, about 1/3 of the existing FAQ could be jettisoned--the
>stuff about how to fix one's mail-program for plain-text ASCII. I've not
>added anything new, only changed the informational parts to refer to the
>new site and its usage.
>I'm attaching hereto an HTML source file in IE format that you should be
>able to look at in any browser and assess. This, or some such page COULD be
>substituted for the existing list-info page at the above URL.

The content is good, but I do think we want two pages, to separate the
subscription page from the main page, and to trigger Google indexing.

>Another matter is the archives. Evidently all new messages will be archived
>automatically in a searchable archive such as has already been set up for
>B-Hebrew and going back several years. I guess we could at least archive
>the remainder of the messages from Lyris to the existing archive and that
>might be easier to do than incorporating all the archives into a single
>site. I'm for the least labor it takes to make everything accessible
>somewhere.

I think we can probably put *all* the messages in archives. This will take
a little time on my part. At first, let's have old archives and new
archives, where the new archives are everything in Lyris and Mailman. That
part can be done automagically.

Jonathan