subjunctive versus indicative.

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Fri Jan 24 06:22:15 EST 2003

At 8:00 AM +0300 1/24/03, Iver Larsen wrote:

>> The function of the subjunctive mood in the letter
><snip>
>>
>> Ina + Subj          1:26; 2:19; 2:28;     Present    Purpose/motive
>>
>>          Dependent Clause
>> Ina + Subj
>> 2:10; 2:11; 2:15; 2:27; 2:28; 2:30; 3:8;. 3:9    Aorist    Purpose
>>
>>              Dependent Clause
>>
>> Ina + Subj      1:9 & 1:10    Present    Epexegetical OR Dirct
>> Obj. OR Complim.
>
>It may be worth repeating that hINA is not a purpose conjunction, at least
>not in Koine Greek. It is a consecutive conjunction which may express
>purpose or result depending on context and the verbs used.
>Or it may express a clausal object or complement as in 1:9. Sometimes, it is
>not clear whether it is one or the other. The 1:10 hINA is probably result.

I would only add to this that hINA + subjunctive clauses occasionally in
Koine are simple substantive clauses, e.g.:

Mt 4:3 EI hUIOS EI TOU QEOU, EIPE hINA hOI LIQOI hOUTOI ARTOI GENWNTAI.
Mt 5:29 SUMFEREI GAR SOI hINA APOLHTAI hEN TWN MELWN SOU KAI MH hOLON TO
SWMA EIS GEENNAN APELQHi
Jn 4:34 LEGEI AUTOIS hO IHSOUS: EMON BRWMA ESTIN hINA POIHSW TO QELHMA TOU
PEMYANTOS ME KAI TELEIWSW AUTOU TO ERGON.

I've sometimes wondered whether this is a Latinism: Latin has substantive
clauses in UT + subjunctive; but that may not be the case. What is certain
is that hINA + subjunctive has already started the transformation into the
equivalent of an infinitive that NA + subj. is in Modern Greek.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/