"to the age" Young's Literal Translation (John 10:28)

Paul S Dixon dixonps at juno.com
Thu Jan 23 16:40:06 EST 2003

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 15:48:11 -0500 "Carl W. Conrad"
<cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu> writes:
> At 1:04 PM -0600 1/23/03, Paul S Dixon wrote:
> >On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 12:53:12 -0500 "Jonathan B. Ferguson"
> ><DunamisTheou at aol.com> writes:
> >> Hello,
> >>      I was wondering why it seems that no versions (besides the
> >> YLT)
> >> translates EIS TON AIWNA in John 10:28. Is it something that
> they
> >> did
> >> translate, and I'm just not getting it, or is it something they
> >> didn't
> >> because it is understand from something else in the verse?  Any
> help
> >> will
> >> be appreciated. :)
> >
> >Rheims NT has:  they shall not perish forever.
> >
> >This translation, though more literal and word for word, is not as
> clear
> >as the translation of most, and undoubtedly means the same thing:
> they
> >shall never perish.  That being the case, EIS TON AIWNA is
> probably
> >pleonastic.
>
> It's NOT pleonastic; it's simply the "ever" in the standard
> versions. EIS
> TON AIWNA conveys the Hebraic L'OLAM.

Thanks for that rather emphatic negation of what I thought might be a
repetition of an emphatic negation (making the negation even more
emphatic)!  Isn't it marvelous how the English lends itself to a more
simplistic emphatic negation by the use of all caps?

Well, if EIS TON AIWNA is pleonastic, then you probably would not object
to a translation such as:  they shall not perish, ever.  That might be a
better way of communicating the construction.  Do you think?

Paul Dixon, Pastor
First Presbyterian Church (PCA)
Camden, AL