"to the age" Young's Literal Translation (John 10:28)

Paul S Dixon dixonps at juno.com
Thu Jan 23 14:04:13 EST 2003

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 12:53:12 -0500 "Jonathan B. Ferguson"
<DunamisTheou at aol.com> writes:
> Hello,
>      I was wondering why it seems that no versions (besides the
> YLT)
> translates EIS TON AIWNA in John 10:28. Is it something that they
> did
> translate, and I'm just not getting it, or is it something they
> didn't
> because it is understand from something else in the verse?  Any help
> will
> be appreciated. :)

Rheims NT has:  they shall not perish forever.

This translation, though more literal and word for word, is not as clear
as the translation of most, and undoubtedly means the same thing: they
shall never perish.  That being the case, EIS TON AIWNA is probably
pleonastic.

Paul Dixon, Pastor
First Presbyterian Church (PCA)
Camden, AL