John 1.. "with God" or "with the God"

Schmuel schmuel at escape.com
Thu Jan 23 12:56:42 EST 2003

Hi b-greek,

   A John 1:1 question ...
John 1:1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

The decision not to translate
 " pros hO QEOS"   (correct this to the proper schema :-)
as "with the God" but rather as "with God"

Can there be some comment on that decision.. ?

I notice that the KJB NT only uses "the God" in adjectival/descriptive phrases like

"the God of Israel"  "the God of Abraham..." "the God of our father" "the God of glory"
"the God of the Jews"  "the God of peace", the God of all comfort"

And I *think* that there are many passages where an article is used with God, and similarly not translated ..

Luke 1:30
And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with (the) God.

My purpose is not to critique one way or another, but to understand the views..
   1) Is the KJB usage consistent.. ?
   2) Does it handle John 1:1 any differently than other passages ? (in this specific sense)
   3) Your opinions whether a definite article *should* be translated into the English when
       used with theos, or how should it effect the translation.

Of course many other Bibles seem to do the same as the KJB on this..

Thanks..

Shalom,
Steven Avery
Bayside, NY