Colossians 2:20-23

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Wed Jan 22 15:18:57 EST 2003

At 3:48 PM +0000 1/22/03, George Blaisdell wrote:
>Dear b-greek, and Hello again Carl - This is one of my little drop-ins
>again...  I hope you can indulge my thick-headedness...
>
>I ran into this pericope as a translational issue and decided to bring it to
>b-greek for review.  The whole thing seems to be one sentence, and the
>syntax of the whole is what is in question, and especially vs 23:
>
>hATINA ESTIN LOGON MEN ECONTA SOFIAS EN EQELOQRHSKIAi KAI TAPERNOFROSUNHi KAI
>AFEIDIAi SOMATOS, OUK EN TIMHi TINI PROS PLHSMONHN THS SARKOS
>
>"Whichever is a word truely having wisdom in will-worship and bodily
>severity not in any value toward fulfillment of the flesh.
>
>Why ATINA?  Is it LOGON that has 'not any value'?  Why is SOFIAS plural?
>How does this finish off the thought of the whole senthence?  Does MEN mean
>truely here?  How is LOGON related to ATINA, and how should it be
>translated, and understood?

hATINA is neuter plural subject of ESTIN ECONTA ("which are things that
have a specious wisdom ..."), George; but the participle ECONTA doesn't
construe with LOGON (although the form could be an acc. sg. m.) but with
the neuter plural subject hATINA which, like the hA introducing verse 22,
refers back to the sort of rigidly ascetic precepts illustrating the
question of verse 20 (TI DOGMATIZESQE?). Verse 23 downplays any authentic
value in these.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/