Colossians 2:20-23

George Blaisdell maqhth at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 22 10:48:32 EST 2003

Dear b-greek, and Hello again Carl - This is one of my little drop-ins
again...  I hope you can indulge my thick-headedness...

I ran into this pericope as a translational issue and decided to bring it to
b-greek for review.  The whole thing seems to be one sentence, and the
syntax of the whole is what is in question, and especially vs 23:

ATINA ESTIN LOGON MEN ECOUNTA SOFIAS EN EQELOQRHSKIA KAI TAPERNOFROSUNH KAI
AFEIDIA SOMATOS OUK EN TIMH TINI PRO PLHSMONH THS SARKOS

"Whichever is a word truely having wisdom in will-worship and bodily
severity not in any value toward fulfillment of the flesh.

Why ATINA?  Is it LOGON that has 'not any value'?  Why is SOFIAS plural?
How does this finish off the thought of the whole senthence?  Does MEN mean
truely here?  How is LOGON related to ATINA, and how should it be
translated, and understood?

Thank-you for any help...

geo

George Blaisdell
Roslyn, WA

"Be not troubling of you the heart..."
[From the Gospel of John, Chapter 14, verse 1.]