hrconto

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Wed Jan 22 06:39:06 EST 2003

At 10:54 AM +0000 1/22/03, D Jongkind wrote:
>John 19:3
>KAI HRCONTO PROS AUTON
>
>NRSV 'they kept coming up to him'
>
>HRCONTO taken as the imperfect of ERCOMAI. But is it possible to see it as
>the imperfect of ARCOMAI (ARCW)?

Not in John 19:3.

>Possible problems I see is that the imperfect does not seem to fit the
>meaning of ARCOMAI (to start), and the actual translation in this context is
>not clear (though I would go for something like 'to start' > 'to have a go
>at'; though rather unattested).
>My Gramcord parsing gives 9 occurances of the imperfect of ARCOMAI in the
>LXX, but it seems to me that all 9 do come from ERCOMAI. Do we have any
>convincing arguments in koine-Greek of the imperfect of ARCOMAI?

I assume that Gramcord has the same database as Accordance; in Accordance I
found 5 instances of ERCOMAI in the imperfect listed, but 25 hits on
ARCOMAI; several of those were quite clearly instances of ERCOMAI. I guess
Dale Wheeler ought to be notified of this.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/