hrconto

D Jongkind dj214 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Jan 22 05:54:49 EST 2003

John 19:3
KAI HRCONTO PROS AUTON

NRSV 'they kept coming up to him'

HRCONTO taken as the imperfect of ERCOMAI. But is it possible to see it as
the imperfect of ARCOMAI (ARCW)?
Possible problems I see is that the imperfect does not seem to fit the
meaning of ARCOMAI (to start), and the actual translation in this context is
not clear (though I would go for something like 'to start' > 'to have a go
at'; though rather unattested).
My Gramcord parsing gives 9 occurances of the imperfect of ARCOMAI in the
LXX, but it seems to me that all 9 do come from ERCOMAI. Do we have any
convincing arguments in koine-Greek of the imperfect of ARCOMAI?

Regards,
Dirk Jongkind