diagrams of Romans and 1 Corinthians 1-5

Long, Fred longf at bethelcollege.edu
Tue Jan 21 10:21:39 EST 2003

Steven,

Thanks for the explanation.

I think someone could still claim that EN indicates the realm within which
Paul has received the grace and Apostleship, namely, "among all the
gentiles".  I wonder whether the inclusive scope of "all" would work against
the reading you are suggesting.  In other words, his sphere of Apostleship
extends to all, but the obedience of faith would not.  On the other hand, it
may be that Paul is expressing his divine optimism and hope that all the
Gentiles would come under "the obedience of faith."

Don't get me wrong.  I appreciate very much your reading of of the Greek in
Rom 1:5 and I am in sympathy with it.  I believe there is strong contextual
support for this theme ("obedience of faith among all the Gentiles"; cf. Rom
2:14-16, 25-29; 15:16-18; 16:26).  I wanted to probe you a bit on your
reasons and particularly how to represent possible alternatives.   And
certainly the glory given to Christ by the obedience of the gentiles
converts is a very powerful idea and fits completely with my understanding
of Romans 6-8 and the victorious Christian life over sin.

Fred

Fredrick J. Long, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of New Testament
Bethel College