diagrams of Romans and 1 Corinthians 1-5

Steven Lo Vullo slovullo at mac.com
Mon Jan 20 21:19:42 EST 2003

On Monday, January 20, 2003, at 10:37 AM, Long, Fred wrote:

> Steven,
>
> Great work diagramming!  Thanks for making this available.
>
> I was looking at Romans 1:5 and was wondering why you chose to place
> EN TOIS
> EQNESIN and hUPER TOU ONOMATOS AUTOU as modifying the other object of
> the
> preposition ("obedience of faith") rather than as adverbially
> modifying the
> verb ELABOMEN?
>
> This raises querstions about how to represent more than one
> grammatical/interpretive option within your Greek diagramming method
> (or any
> for that matter)?  I havn't studied other portions of your
> diagramming, but
> I would imagine that many interpretive decisions needed to be made,
> and I
> wonder how did you indicate that in your diagramming?
>
> Fred

Greetings, Fred:

First, thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate any comments,
suggestions, or corrections folks may have to offer.

The reason I decided to diagram EN PASIN TOIS EQNESIN as a modifier of
hUPAKOHN rather than ELABOMEN is that I think it makes better sense in
the context. It seems to me that the idea is not "we received grace and
apostleship ... among all the Gentiles," but that the purpose or result
(indicated by EIS) of the reception of grace and apostleship is
"obedience among all the Gentiles" (cf. 15.18; 16.26). In other words,
EN PASIN TOIS EQNESIN is the sphere in which the purposed or resultant
obedience of faith is practiced, rather than the sphere in which grace
and apostleship was received. I think it is pretty common for a
prepositional phrase to modify a verbal noun, i.e., a noun that has a
verbal cognate and an implied verbal idea.

As for hUPER TOU ONOMATOS AUTOU, I think this is a little more
uncertain. It is possible to construe it with ELABOMEN, but I think its
proximity to hUPAKOHN probably indicates that the obedience of faith on
the part of the Gentiles is practiced in Christ's name and/or redounds
to his glory, as is expressed in English in the following translations:

NLT: Through Christ, God has given us the privilege and authority to
tell Gentiles everywhere what God has done for them, so that they will
believe and obey him, bringing glory to his name.

NAB: Through him we have received the grace of apostleship, to bring
about the obedience of faith, for the sake of his name, among all the
Gentiles,

NJB: through whom we have received grace and our apostolic mission of
winning the obedience of faith among all the nations for the honor of
his name.

I think what is in view here is the obedience of faith practiced among
the Gentiles to the glory of the name of Christ.

You are absolutely right to point out that there will often be more
than one option to consider when diagramming, and there are cases where
I indicate this. See, for example, Rom 5.2. What I do in these cases is
indicate the alternatives with numbers in parentheses, with (1)
indicating the option I think more probable. If there is room to place
both options in their respective places in the main diagram, I will do
that. If not, I will place (1) in the main diagram and (2) usually
either to the right of the main diagram or below it. I don't reproduce
the whole diagram for the alternative, just enough of it so that its
possible alternative grammatical or syntactic relationship is clear.
There will, of course, be cases where I am certain of my understanding
of the grammar and syntax and will not include an alternative where
others would. Conversely, there will be cases where I am uncertain of
my understanding and will include an alternative where other would not.
So I am always open to suggestions.