A tip on the alphabet

sandra hack polaski shpolaski at btsr.edu
Mon Jan 20 12:10:51 EST 2003

For learning the alphabet, I've found nothing better than a children's book
called _The Little Greek Alphabet Book_ (by Ennis Rees, ill. George Salter;
Prentice-Hall, 1968).  I first ran across it in my college library, and
since have located it through a used-book service on the Internet.  Each
letter has a humorous illustration and a short rhyme that usually gives a
nugget of information about the letter's shape, sound, or place in the Greek
alphabet.  For example, I never learned "zeta eta theta" until I read:
"Theta, it seems, is what Zeta ate; or so the rhyme says, at any rate."
My young daughter learned the Greek alphabet with it, too...
--Sandra Hack Polaski