MH PAROINON - correcting my wrong expectation

Iver Larsen iver_larsen at sil.org
Sun Jan 19 04:28:54 EST 2003

Goerge originally said:
> > It was also the practice of the early church which has been carried
> forward
> > in the Eucharist as anyone who has partaken of the Eucharist in the
> > Anglican Communion (and presumably the Roman Catholic) is aware for the
> > wine is mixed with water.

To which I responded:
> That sections of the church in Anglophone countries have this
> tradition does
> not mean that such was the tradition of the early church. This is a fairly
> recent cultural tradition, I believe. In the Lutheran church in Denmark
> which I am most familiar with, they have always used wine, but I
> expect the
> Lutheran churches in the US would normally use fruit juice rather
> than wine.
> I would expect the same to be the case for the Catholic church,
> that is, in
> the US and UK many would probably use fruit juice, but you can be
> sure that
> the Catholic churches in Continental Europe use wine. I was shocked the
> first time I attended a communion service in the UK, and they did not use
> wine. It was neither Anglican nor Catholic, just British.

Thanks very much to those who on and offlist have corrected and clarified my
wrong expectations, especially Ben Crick on the Anglican Canon. They have
made it clear that it is normal practice in the Lutheran, Anglican and
Catholic churches to use proper wine, also in the US and UK.
My point was only to object to the possibility of concluding that the early
church used wine mixed with water because "such is the case in the Anglican
Church and presumably the Catholic Church" as George suggested. Case closed
from my side.

Iver Larsen