MH PAROINON

Ben and Jo Crick ben.crick at argonet.co.uk
Sat Jan 18 18:20:33 EST 2003

On Sat 18 Jan 2003 (22:11:49 +0300), iver_larsen at sil.org wrote:
>  ...   In the Lutheran church in Denmark
> which I am most familiar with, they have always used wine, but I expect
> the Lutheran churches in the US would normally use fruit juice rather
> than wine.
> I would expect the same to be the case for the Catholic church, that is, in
> the US and UK many would probably use fruit juice, but you can be sure that
> the Catholic churches in Continental Europe use wine. I was shocked the
> first time I attended a communion service in the UK, and they did not use
> wine. It was neither Anglican nor Catholic, just British.

 Some Free Churches in Britain always use fruit juice because of a doctrinal
 stance on the non-use of alcohol; but the Anglican church directs in its
 /Canons/ of 1964 and later that "The bread, whether leavened or unleavened,
 shall be of the best and purest wheat flour that conveniently may be gotten,
 and the wine the fermented juice of the grape, good and wholesome" (Canon
 B17:2, Sixth Edition, October 2000).

 This replaces the earlier Canon 20 of 1603 (revised 1865) which stated:
 "The Churchwardens of every parish, against the time of every Communion,
 shall, at the charge of the parish, with the advice and direction of the
 Minister, provide a sufficient quantity of fine white Bread, and of good
 and wholesome Wine, for the number of Communicants that shall from time to
 time receive there: which Wine we require to be brought to the Communion-table
 in a clean and sweet standing pot or stoop of pewter, if not of purer metal."

 Exceptionally, ministers are permitted to use unfermented grape juice or even
 proprietary fruit juices where there are known to be worshippers present
 who have an alcohol-related health problem. But usually, such individuals
 receive the Bread only and pass the Cup by. MH PAROINON...

 ERRWSQE
 Ben (PRESBUTEROS)
 <ben.crick at argonet.co.uk>
 http://www.cnetwork.co.uk/crick.htm