MH PAROINON

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Sat Jan 18 11:49:08 EST 2003

Forwarded for George Somsel <Polycarp66 at aol.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 09:58:17 EST

In a message dated 1/18/2003 3:04:04 AM Eastern Standard Time,
iver_larsen at sil.org writes:

>>Denny Diehl here
>>
>>with a question concerning the requirements of
>>a bishop (1 Tim 3:3) and a deacon (1 Tim 3:8).
>>
>>First, MH PAROINON is variously translated
>>sometimes to parallel MH OINWi POLLWi
>>PROSEXONTAS and sometimes different from it.
>>
>>The KJV has
>>  :3  Not given to wine
>>  :8  Not given to much wine
>>
>>The NASB has
>>  :3  Not addicted to wine
>>  :8  Not addicted to much wine
>>
>>The NIV has
>>  :3  Not given to drunkenness
>>  :8  Not indulging in much wine
>>
>>Are PAROINON and OINWi PROSEXONTAS the same,
>>just variously stated?  Or is there a slight difference in
>>meaning?  What really sounds strange to me is the NASB's
>>"not addicted to wine" and "not addicted to much wine."
>>It seems to me, addiction is addiction.
>
>Yes, I would agree. Addiction implies that one does something far too much
>and gets controlled by it. I am not surprised that NASB sounds strange.
>Literal translations often sound strange and usually do not communicate the
>meaning properly.
>>
>>Is there any evidence for MH PAROINON to be taken to
>>be a directive to stay completely away from wine, as Timothy
>>was doing (1 Tim 5:23) except for Paul's instruction for him
>>to use a little for the sake of his stomach?  That, to me, would
>>make sense, bishops stay completely away from wine, deacons
>>do not use much wine?  What say you?
>
>I would say no, and your hypothesis does not make sense to me. According to
>BAGD MH PAROINOS means someone who is not  "drunken, addicted to wine" and
>not someone who never drinks wine. If that was the intended meaning, it
>could have been stated simply enough as "not drink wine" (and probably in
>other ways that I don't know.)
>
>Whether a person is addicted to wine - PAROINOS - or habitually drinks too
>much wife - OINWi POLLWi PROSECEI makes no difference.
>>
>>Of course, I recognize wine in the first century as that mentioned
>>in 2 Macc 15:39.
>
>By that I assume you claim that wine was always mixed with water. I am
>afraid I don't "recognize" that, nor do I know of any support anywhere for
>such an claim.
>
>2 Macc 15:39 says in part:
>
>KAQAPER GAR OINON KATA MONAS PINEIN hWSAUTWS DE KAI hUDWR PALIN POLEMION,
>ON DE TROPON OINOS hUDATI SUGKERASQEIS hHDUS KAI EPITERPH THN CARIN APOTELEI
>
>REB has translated this verse as follows:
>"For, just as it is disagreeable to drink wine by itself or water by itself,
>whereas the mixing of the two produces a pleasant and delightful taste, so
>too variety of style in a literary work charms the ear of the reader. Let
>this, then, be my final word."
>
>NRSV says: "For just as it is harmful to drink wine alone, or, again, to
>drink water alone, while wine mixed with water is sweet and delicious and
>enhances one's enjoyment..."

> [...]

Taking things in reverse order:

SUGKERANNUMI in 2 Macc 15.39 signifies a commingling, not an alternation as
has been suggested.  Although this forum is not one dealing with history, a
proper understanding of some statements requires an understanding of the
historical practice.  It was the practice to mix the wine with water.  This
is found in Homer.

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus:text:1999.01.0217&query=line%3D%2395&word=wine
(lines 460-470)

It was also the practice of the early church which has been carried forward
in the Eucharist as anyone who has partaken of the Eucharist in the
Anglican Communion (and presumably the Roman Catholic) is aware for the
wine is mixed with water.

What we have in 1 Tim 3.3 is the noun "drunkard".  In 3.8 what we have is
the phrase

MH OINWi POLLWi PROSEXONTAS

which simply translates as "not devoted to much [excessive ?] wine".  I
would suggest that this is simply an alternate manner of expressing the
same thing.

gfsomsel