Nicene Creed

Richard Ghilardi qodeshlayhvh at juno.com
Sat Jan 18 11:29:54 EST 2003

Dear George,

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 09:53:28 -0500 "Carl W. Conrad"
<cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu> writes:
> Forwarded for George Somsel <Polycarp66 at aol.com>
> >
> >KAI EIS TO PNEUMA TO AGION,
> >TO KURION, TO ZWOPOION,
> >TO EK TOU PATROS EKPOREUOMENON,
> >TO SUN PATRI KAI GIW
> >SUMPROSKUNOUMENON KAI SUNDOXAZOMENON,
> >TO LALHSAN DIA TWN PROFHTWN.
> >
> (BTW:
> should the "GIW" not be hUIW(i)?)
>
> I would understand TO ZWiOPOION as a pres. act neut acc part of
> ZWiOPOIEW
> the natural tendency would be to understand TO KURION as being
> parallel,
> but this is not a participle.  I would therefore translate
>
> "and in the Holy Spirit,
> who enlivens the Lord,
> who procedes from the Father,
> who together with the Father and the Son is worshipped and commonly
> glorified,
> who spoke through the prophets . . ."
>
> Regarding ZWiPOION cf. 1 Pet 3.18 where the pass part is used
>
> hOTI XRISTOS hAPAC PERI hAMARTIWN EPAQEN, DIKAIOS hUPER ADIKWN, hINA
> hUMAS
> PROSAGAGHi TWi QEWi QANATWQEIS MEN SARKI ZWiOPOIHQEIS DE PNEUMATI
>
> gfsomsel

Perhaps GIW is a concession to modern Greek speakers since hUIWi would
appear awkward.

While it is true that TON KURION is not a participle, neither is TO
AGION! The use of the participle is not a consistent pattern in this part
of the creed. Notice that all the participles used are present tense
except for the last, TO LALHSAN, which is aorist. That's because all the
other participles depict on-going present activities where TO PNEUMA TO
AGION is either the actor or the recipient. The exception, TO LALHSAN,
describes an historic activity of TO PNEUMA TO AGION. Now since the tense
of TO ZWiOPOION is present we would expect it to describe the present
on-going activity of TO PNEUMA TO AGION. And it does! The Spirit is the
one who gives life -- past, future and right now in the present. But if
we take TON KURION as object of TO ZWiOPOION, it would mean that the TO
PNEUMA TO AGION is the one who is presently giving life to the Lord Jesus
and has been ever since the resurrection! A preposterous idea for any
Trinitarian! If TO ZWiOPOION were in the aorist tense, you would have a
much stronger case for your translation. For then it would be an historic
activity of TO PNEUMA TO AGION just like TO LALHSAN is. Your citation of
1 Pe 3:18 actually supports Moule's translation because there
ZWiOPOIHQEIS, in the aorist tense, describes the once-for-all historic
activity of TO PNEUMA TO AGION in raising Jesus from the dead.

Yours in His grace,

Richard Ghilardi -- qodeshlayhvh at juno.com
New Haven, CT USA