Nicene Creed

Steve Puluka spuluka at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 18 07:49:24 EST 2003

Hello Everyone,

I'm working my way through CFD Moule's book "The Holy Spirit" (Mowbrey,
1978) for a class this semester. On page 43 in discussing the Nicene creed
statement:

KAI EIS TO PNEUMA TO AGION,
TO KURION, TO ZWOPOION,
TO EK TOU PATROS EKPOREUOMENON,
TO SUN PATRI KAI GIW
SUMPROSKUNOUMENON KAI SUNDOXAZOMENON,
TO LALHSAN DIA TWN PROFHTWN.

The Greek text and punctuation here is from the Greek Orthodox liturgical
tradition, Moule does not supply the Greek but offers the following as a
"literal" translation.

...also in the Holy Spirit,
which is Lord,
which makes alive,
which proceeds from the Father
which is worshipped and glorified with the Father and the Son,
which spoke through the prophets.

My question regards the  sense Moule is making of the article.  I don't
understand how we get to a sense of "which" in this construction.  I've
re-read the chapters on the article in both Wallace and the "big" Robertson,
but this translation seems a stretch to me, not a literal one.  But I know
enough about Moule and his ability with Greek that I don't want to dismiss
it.

I'm familiar with the translation of this same section of Greek into Old
Church Slavonic from the 9th century.  This is my liturgical tradition.  The
interesting part here is that, like most slavic languages, OCS has no
articles.  So if the translators understand a Greek article as something
other than a specifier, they must supply a word in the translation,
otherwise the article drops out.  In this case the article drops from the
translation.  If they understood this in the sense of "which" they would
likely have supplied a KAK in the translation.

In short, I don't understand what in this construction supports the
translation of the article as "which."  But I'm assuming there IS something
that does.  Thanks for your help.

Steve Puluka
Masters Student SS Cyril & Methodius Seminary, Pittsburgh
Cantor in the Carpatho-Rusyn tradition
http://www.geocities.com/spuluka