Hieronymous project

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Fri Jan 17 06:36:39 EST 2003

Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 08:32:14 +0000 (GMT)
Forwarded for Richard Goodrich <rjg5 at st-andrews.ac.uk>

Since there seems to be a fairly steady interest in computer tools for
learning Greek on the B-GREEK list, I thought it might be helpful to
direct attention to the internet project I am working on for the
University of St Andrews: Hieronymous.

This project is located at: www.hieronymous.org

In short compass, Hieronymous is designed to complement classical language
teaching at the University, but currently it is available for anyone who
would like to try it.

Hieronymous offers a range of drills (vocabulary, paradigms, principal
parts, parsing) for both Greek and (coming soon) Latin. In the future
these drills will be set up to match a variety of textbooks. At the moment
I only have material from one textbook available (Betts and Henry's Teach
Yourself Ancient Greek).

To use the program, you will have to have either SPIonic or Microsoft
Symbol loaded in your machine (Partial support for browsers using Unicode
fonts is also available, but this has not yet been consistently
implemented). The program has been tested with some of the newer browsers,
but older browsers (such as Netscape 4.x) do not work consistently. In
theory, any browser conforming to the HTML 4.0 standard should work. I
would certainly appreciate feedback if you discover that the program is
not working with your browser (please stipulate what is not working as
well as your browser and platform).

A lengthier description of the project is available at
www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~rjg5/projects/hierprop.pdf

Please note that the software is still in early beta form. A number of
items (including detailed on-line help) have not yet been implemented.
Nevertheless, I am hoping that it is intuitive enough for general testing
and would appreciate feedback and comments from anyone who has a look at
it.

Thanks,

Richard Goodrich
Research Fellow, University of St Andrews
rjg5 at st-andrews.ac.uk