Text file of Greek Lexicon?

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Wed Jan 15 05:03:55 EST 2003

Forwarded for George Somsel <Polycarp66 at aol.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 21:51:36 EST

In a message dated 1/14/2003 3:25:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
greek-list at emailias.com writes:

>Does anyone know of where I might get a Greek Lexicon (Thayer, whatever,
>any is better than nothing) in a text file? I know several Bible study
>programs include the lexicon - but I am interested in JUST the text file.

I don't know of any edition of Thayer or any other Greek lexicon as a text
file.  As you noted, it is included in some Bible study programs.  If price
is the driving consideration for you, you might consider downloading the
e-sword program from

It is totally free and has a number of different modules which can be
downloaded -- likewise for free.  You must realize, however, that at this
price you are getting yester-year''s scholarship.  I did download the
program and the lexicon (and the TR Greek text since I lacked that).  I
took a quick look at the lexicon and discovered that it would seem to have
no easy way in which to look up a word other than simply scrolling through
the list -- a tedious process at best (though perhaps I simply am unaware
of the method it employs).  I also ran a quick test and found that if you
have a unicode font on your computer which supports polytonic Greek you can
copy and paste the entries into Word or WordPad to create your own
"text-only" copy.  This will, I'm afraid, prove to be a rather daunting and
time-consuming task.

gfsomsel