HN in John 1.1a cf to 8.58

Barry Hofstetter nebarry at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 14 10:34:11 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Juan Stam" <juanstam at racsa.co.cr>
To: "Barry Hofstetter" <nebarry at earthlink.net>; "Biblical Greek"
<b-greek at franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 9:38 AM
Subject: Re: [b-greek] Re: HN in John 1.1a cf to 8.58

> Thanks for the excellent comments on Jn 1.1 by Carl Conrad and Barry
> Hofstetter.
>
> I'm wondering how the same comments apply to Jn 8.58, given the apparent
> contrast there between GENESTHAI for Abraham and EIMI for Jesus, and the
> AMHN, AMHN which introduces the statement.

I think that the lexical choice in John 8:58, including the unique usage of EIMI
in the present, is significant (in the technical sense of the word).  When one
finds such unexpected constructions, agreed to by virtually all the manuscript
evidence, from an author whose Greek is otherwise, within Koine parameters,
quite correct, then one suspects that the writer is doing something...

N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Professor of Theological and Biblical Studies
    The Center for Urban Theological Studies, Philadelphia, PA
http://home.earthlink.net/~nebarry