HN in John 1.1a

Barry Hofstetter nebarry at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 14 08:26:42 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carl W. Conrad" <cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu>
To: "Biblical Greek" <b-greek at franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Cc: "Biblical Greek" <b-greek at franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 7:54 AM
Subject: [b-greek] Re: HN in John 1.1a

> Just to second Barry's point in perhaps even stronger terms:
>
> When a biblical text evokes from us a question about whether it means what
> it doesn't actually say, we should, in my opinion, hesitate to ask that
> question,on grounds that what comes to mind may more likely be idle
> speculations rather than anything the Biblical writer MAY have meant; I
> think we ought to assume that if the Biblical writer didn't answer the
> question that WE want to ask, then the Biblical writer probably did not
> intend for us to ask that question. So in this instance, John 1:1 is
> immensely suggestive but also concise in the extreme, indicating only the
> co-evality of Logos and any beginning that is of concern to humanity: more
> than that it does not state.

And to support Prof. Carl's point supporting my point... (!).  As Moises Silva
used to tell us, if you spot a clever exegetical point that everyone else seems
to have missed, then probably the original author never intended it to be
there...

N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Professor of Theological and Biblical Studies
    The Center for Urban Theological Studies, Philadelphia, PA
http://home.earthlink.net/~nebarry