HN in John 1.1a

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Tue Jan 14 07:54:34 EST 2003

At 7:44 AM -0500 1/14/03, Barry Hofstetter wrote:
> [...]

Just to second Barry's point in perhaps even stronger terms:

When a biblical text evokes from us a question about whether it means what
it doesn't actually say, we should, in my opinion, hesitate to ask that
question,on grounds that what comes to mind may more likely be idle
speculations rather than anything the Biblical writer MAY have meant; I
think we ought to assume that if the Biblical writer didn't answer the
question that WE want to ask, then the Biblical writer probably did not
intend for us to ask that question. So in this instance, John 1:1 is
immensely suggestive but also concise in the extreme, indicating only the
co-evality of Logos and any beginning that is of concern to humanity: more
than that it does not state.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/