The scope of flashback in Mark 3:21-31 (reposted)

Moon-Ryul Jung moon at sogang.ac.kr
Sun Jan 12 20:53:46 EST 2003

> At 6:41 PM -0500 1/12/03, Moon-Ryul Jung wrote:
> >Thank you, Carl,
> >your answers are really helpful.
> >
> >By the way, do you think that the narrative about the scribes
> >in 3:22-30 happened between the event of 3.21a and the event of 3.31?
> >Most translations seem to agree to this view.
>
> Moon, you're asking a question that goes beyond the scope of what the Greek
> text itself says and into the realm of literary-historical criticism. I
> have my own observations and judgments about such matters, but I don't feel
> it's appropriate to discuss them in this forum.

Hmm, I think my question was: does the text of Mark IMPLY  that the
inserted narrative happened between the event of 3.21a (the
departure of Jesus' family) and the event of 3.31 (the arrival of Jesus'
family)? Do you mean that the text itself says nothing about it,
that is, it does not matter for the purpose of Mark when the inserted
narrative happened? I think it makes sense. What was important to Mark
would have been the parallelism between the judgement of Jesus' family
and that of the scribes. But this is a new thing to me. I tend to
to sort the events in a story in a linear or partially linear order, as
far as I can. Are you saying that I have to resist such a habit at least
when I read Mark?

Sincerely
Moon
Moon R. Jung