The scope of flashback in Mark 3:21-31 (reposted)

Moon-Ryul Jung moon at sogang.ac.kr
Sun Jan 12 18:41:20 EST 2003

Thank you, Carl,
your answers are really helpful.

By the way, do you think that the narrative about the scribes
in 3:22-30 happened between the event of 3.21a and the event of 3.31?
Most translations seem to agree to this view.

For example, consider RSV:

3:21 And when his family heard it, they WENT OUT (EXHLQON) out to seize
him, for people were saying, "He is beside himself."
3:22 And the scribes who came down from Jerusalem said, "He is possessed
by Be-el'zebul, and by the prince of demons he casts out the demons."
..

3:31   And his mother and his brothers CAME (ERXETAI);  and standing
outside they sent to him and called him.

3.21a describes the departure of Jesus's family and 3.31 describes the
arrival of his family. Inbetween the departure and the arrival, the debate
with the
scribes seems to happen.

Is there no way to take the inserted narrative in 3:22 - 30 as a
background
information, that is, as a situation that happened before the event that
involves Jesus' family? In that case, the gap between the departure and
the
arrival of  Jesus' family is not exploited for another narrative.

Moon
Moon R. Jung
Sogang Univ, Seoul, Korea