Article or Relative Pronoun

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Sun Jan 12 07:05:37 EST 2003

At 12:29 AM -0500 1/12/03, Moon-Ryul Jung wrote:
>I seem to have read that the accent was not in the original manuscripts.
>So, hH would have been distinguished as article or relative pronoun
>depending on the context.

While this is true enough, Moon, Bert was simply asking because he couldn't
make out the diacritical mark in the text. One look at the text (which I
cited below) makes it clear that it MUST be an article. There is no
plausible antecedent, and to suppose that hH is a relative would make the
syntax of the clause as it follows wholly unintelligible. So yes, it's the
context: but the context is utterly unambiguous.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/