The scope of flashback in Mark 3:21-31 (reposted)

Moon-Ryul Jung moon at sogang.ac.kr
Sun Jan 12 03:59:04 EST 2003

It seems that Mark 3:31 resumes 3:21a, with 3:21b - 3:30 explaining
the background for the event of 3:21a.
This reading is plausible because the situation of 3:31 looks
the same as that of 3:21a, because EXW in 3:31 should be the
outside of the house mentioned in 3:20. It is reasonable
to equate HOI PAR' AUTOU with hH MHTHR AUTOU KAI HOI ADELFOI AUTOU.
But the problem with this reading is that the passage 3:21b - 3:30
seems to be too long to describe the background for the event of
3:21a.

But if we take only 3:21b as flashback for 3:21a, and take
3:22 - 3:30 to follow 3:21a, then we should treat 3:31 to
describe a situation different from that of 3:21a. But then
how can we account for EXW in 3:31? It should be taken to be
OUTSIDE [of the house mentioned in 3:21a], shouldn't it?

Moon
Moon R. Jung
Sogang Univ, Seoul, Korea