Article or Relative Pronoun

bertdehaan at gosympatico.ca bertdehaan at gosympatico.ca
Sat Jan 11 13:16:43 EST 2003

> From: "Carl W. Conrad" <cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu>
> Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 11:15:10 -0500
> To: Biblical Greek <b-greek at franklin.oit.unc.edu>
> CC: Biblical Greek <b-greek at franklin.oit.unc.edu>
> Subject: [b-greek] Re: Article or Relative Pronoun
>
> At 10:26 AM -0500 1/11/03, <bertdehaan at gosympatico.ca> wrote:
> >In John 6:18, is hH an article or a relative pronoun. In my Bible it is
> >written with an accent but I don't know how to make sense of it as an
> >relative pronoun. Can someone help me out? Thank you.
>
> Text: hH/ TE QALASSA ANEMOU MEGALOU PNEONTOS DIEGEIRETO.
>
> It's definitely an article; the accent is on the eta only because the
> enclitic TE follows the article.

On the advice of someone I have largely ignored accents (except eg;when an accent differentiates one word from another, or when a circumflex indicates a contraction.) Was this good advice or should I try to learn at least the basics of it? I have almost completed my beginners grammar. Do most intermediate grammars include the rules for accents? I was thinking about buying "Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics" by Daniel B. Wallace, is this a good choice?