Article or Relative Pronoun

Maurice A. O'Sullivan mauros at iol.ie
Sat Jan 11 11:23:39 EST 2003

At 15:26 11/01/2003, bertdehaan at gosympatico.ca wrote:

>In John 6:18, is hH an article or a relative pronoun. In my Bible it is
>written with an accent but I don't know how to make sense of it as an
>relative pronoun. Can someone help me out?

It is an article, with an acute accent on it -- so where, you ask, does the
accent come from?
 From the second word -- TE -- of which, BTW, there are only 3 occurrences
in John -- so you were unlucky, so to speak <g>.
TE is termed an "enclitic", and its accent has been thrown back on the
previous word.

If you would like to go to the Perseus web-site, and go to the on-line copy
of Smyth's Greek Grammar, you will find all you want on the topic of
enclitics and what they do to accents at sections 181 ff.

Go to: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus:abo:sec,00001
and in the "Go To" box enter 181 and hit Enter. That will take you straight
to the relevant section.

BTW, Brown, in his commentary on John (Anchor Bible ) remarks that here TE
is a "strong connective".

mauros at iol.ie