ANASTASIS NEKRWN vs ANASTATIS EK NEKRWN

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Sat Jan 11 07:57:20 EST 2003

At 9:25 PM -0500 1/10/03, Moon-Ryul Jung wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Is there any difference between ANASTATIS NEKRWN (Acts 23:6) and
>EKANASTASIS EK NEKRWN (Phil 3.11)? One may be translated as
>"resurrection of the dead", and the other as "resurrection from
>among the dead". The second implies selection from among the dead.
>I noticed that some authors think "resurrection from among the dead"
>is equivalent to "resurrection of the just" (in contrast to
>"resurrection of the unjust"), and to "better resurrection" (KREITTONOS
>ANASTASEWS), Heb 11.35) which the old saints tried to attain.
>
>Is this conclusion lingistically or grammatically justified?

I don't think so. In the first place, the word in Acts 23:6 is ANASTASIS,
not ANASTATIS. And I don't think the EK NEKRWN is partitive in this
expression: I certainly would not English it as "from among the dead."
Although I would not want to argue the case for a fully consistent
eschatological doctrine in the New Testament, I think the standard
conception is that ALL the dead are raised and are judged, some to be
condemned to annihilation or everlasting punishment, others to life in the
kingdom. I would suppose that Heb 11:35 points to the destiny of the
saved/righteous as the KREITTWN ANASTASIS.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/