Greek Songs for Learning

Richard Ghilardi qodeshlayhvh at juno.com
Sat Jan 11 00:21:41 EST 2003

Dear Barry,

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 17:08:33 -0500 "Barry Hofstetter"
<nebarry at earthlink.net> writes:

> Well, it isn't exactly classical, but...
>
> IHSOUS M'AGAPA TOUT' OIDA
> TA GAR BIBLIA MOI LEGEI
> TA TEKNA AUTWi ESTIN
> ASTHENH, SQENES
>
> NAI, IESOUS M'AGAPA
> NAI, IESOUS M'AGAPA
> NAI, IESOUS M'AGAPA
> TA GAR BIBLIA MOI LEGEI

An alternate text by Dr. Bill Mounce:

hO IHSOUS ME AGAPAi
hOTI GRAFH KHRUSSEI
PAIDIA EISIN AUTWi
ASQENOUSI DUNATAI

NAI, IHSOUS AGAPAi
NAI, IHSOUS AGAPAi
NAI, IHSOUS AGAPAi
hH GRAFH KHRUSSEI

http://www.teknia.com/public/pdf/JesusLovesMe.pdf

As well as hH DOXOLOGIA by J.I. Packer and Bill Mounce:

TON QEON W DOXAZETE
EUDOKHSANTA DWREAN
TA KTISMAQ' hA PEPOIHKEN
PATERA hUION KAI PNEUMA

http://www.teknia.com/public/pdf/doxology.pdf

Far be it from me to correct J.I. Packer or Dr. Mounce, but I see a
little problem in each of these beloved songs of the church. In the
former, shouldn't line 3 be PAIDIA **ESTIN** AUTWi, the singular rather
than the plural? Or if EISIN is acceptable, what would that imply? In the
latter, it looks like there's a scribal error in line 2. It doesn't make
sense to me as it stands. Perhaps the authors meant to write EULOGHSANTA
DWREAN rather than EUDOKHSANTA DWREAN? But now I'm getting into TC and
that's a NO NO on this list.

Yours in His grace,

Richard Ghilardi -- qodeshlayhvh at juno.com
New Haven, CT USA