Pronounciation of PNEUMA

Eric S. Weiss eweiss at gte.net
Fri Jan 10 09:33:27 EST 2003

For a "baby Greek" class I taught at church, I created a chart comparing
the important sounds in Erasmian pronunciation with those in Modern Greek
and Randall Buth's "reconstructed Koine." You can access the charts here:

http://home1.gte.net/eweiss/ntgreek.htm

The charts are in MS Excel, and you will need Bill Mounce's TekniaGreek
font to read them (link noted on the page).

There are some omissions for the sake of space. I don't give the
pronunciation of some consonant blends, e.g., in Buth's and Modern Greek,
nu-tau is pronounced like "nd" not "nt" -- e.g., PANTAS is "pandas" -- and
modern Greek has some words that begin with mu-beta. You can find modern
Greek pronunciation guides easily enough.

Buth indicates that omega and omicron were pronounced
identically/interchangeably in NT times, either both long o or both short
o. Modern Greek uses a short o. In my reading aloud, I use a long o for
both omega and omicron so I can distinguish between them and alpha. The
nice thing about Buth's system is eta ("ay" as in "hay") is distinct from
epsilon-iota and upsilon -- all three, as well as iota, are an "ee" sound
in modern Greek. The most difficult change for me with Buth was
pronouncing omicron-iota and upsilon identically -- i.e., a French "u."

Good luck!