Safari browser and Unicode Greek

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Fri Jan 10 07:16:41 EST 2003

B-Greekers who happen to be Mac-users (and I realize we are a minority) and
who haven't become aware of or tried the new free web-browser "Safari" just
released in beta by Apple should do so, if for no other reason, than that
it renders UTF-8 Unicode beautifully, making the Greek text at Perseus
(e.g. Westcott & Hort GNT:
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.01.0155)
or Michael Haggett's leaner GNT without diacriticals:
(http://www.ntgreek.fsnet.co.uk/greeknt/f01-matt.html)
splendidly easy to read. Hitherto only OmniWeb would display Unicode well
on the Mac, but Safari is lightning-fast and outstrips other Mac browsers
in almost every respect, IMHO. One must, of course, choose Unicode (UTF-8)
as the default encoding in the Appearance panel of the settings.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/