Observation Re: Memorizing Verbal or Noun Endings

Robert E. Wermuth robertewermuth at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jan 9 18:02:19 EST 2003

In everyday life, when we want to compare two or more things, we usually
lay them side by side. Seems to me this is a good approach when memorizing
endings in Greek. If so, it also seems wise, if not necessary, to learn
endings in vertical "columns" from singular down through plural forms. If
the student does this, he or she is able to compare and contrast what was
initially memorized with "new" (though oftentimes not so new) material as
it is presented. Repetitions and/or patterns become clearly visible.

One thing I have always used to reinforce this learning approach is to ask
students to periodically write down, with no helps of any kind, every
grouping ("column") of verb endings they've memorized, every noun
declension ending memorized...and to do this as quickly as they can recall
from their memory. Within short minutes there is almost inevitably great
gratification as they realize how much they've learned and how quickly
they are able to access the information and process it from their brains,
through their limbs and onto paper. And, in the case of any mental lapses
(omissions on paper where there should be something), a student can
immediately identify weak areas that need extra work.

I have a good example of this in a one-page paradigm of all Greek noun
declensions (endings for 2nd, 1st, and 3rd declensions)listed on one page!
I'll be happy to pass this along (as a JPEG "snapshot"?) to anyone
requesting it. (Is there anyone else [grammar?] who's produced a Noun
declensions chart on one page? I'd like to view that if there is.)

Robert Wermuth
robertewermuth at worldnet.att.net