table of contents

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Thu Jan 9 13:07:46 EST 2003

At 4:47 PM +0000 1/9/03, Brian Johnson wrote:
>Dear B-Greek,
>
>I am wondering if it is possible to number the letters corresponding with
>the table of contents at the beginning of the e.mails. Many times I lack
>the time to read all of the subjects it would be very convenient to scroll
>to the matching number to the particular subject I seek.

I assume that you're referring to the digests, which number the messages in
the table of contents but don't number the corresponding messages in their
order below. I think that the digests will be arranged as you would prefer
when we switch soon to the MailMan software, but I think there will be both
plus and minus aspects to the switch-over. What I'm personally hoping for
most is stability, but Jonathan indicates that we'll have automatic
archiving of messages, and that's certainly a good thing.

If you really want to skip messages that you think you won't be interested
in, an alternative is to read the messages at the web-site where you can
see all the more recent messages listed from the top and click on whichever
one you're interested in.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/