Some Greek Fun

Richard Ghilardi qodeshlayhvh at juno.com
Wed Jan 8 18:28:15 EST 2003

Dear Matthew,

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003 16:27:12 -0500 "Matthew R. Miller"
<biblicalscribe at hotmail.com> writes:
> Just for fun, can you answer the following koine Greek questions for
> me?
>
> 1. What is the longest Greek word you know? I suspect it will be a
> verb
> form.
>
> 2. What is the most number of contiguous vowels in a single Greek
> word
> that you have encoutered? Which word?
>
> 3. Which Greek word do you find hardest to try to pronounce?
>
> 4. What is the most non-English syntax of any New Testament phrase
> that
> you know? In other words, the most awkward in English?

I'll take a shot at #2 only.

SELAENONEOAIEIA = SELHNH i.e. the moon

That is: SELA-ENO-NEO-AIEI-A = "the light that is ever old and new"

That's 7 vowels in a row. Beat that one!

You won't find this word in any of the lexicons. I forgot where I saw it.

Yours in His grace,

Richard Ghilardi -- qodeshlayhvh at juno.com
New Haven, CT USA