Mark 3:16-19: what a strange construction!

Moon-Ryul Jung moon at sogang.ac.kr
Wed Jan 8 06:56:00 EST 2003

Hi all,

I am reading Mark. This time it goes well. I hope to finish it this time

Mark 3:16 - 19:

[KAI EPOIHSEN TOUS DWDEKA]
(1) KAI EPEQHKEN ONOMA TWi SIMONI PETRON,
(2a) KAI IAKWBON TON TOU ZEBEDAIOU KAI OWANNHN TON ADELFOU TOU IAKWBOU
  (2b) KAI EPEQHKEN AUTOIS NONMA[TA] BOANHRGES, ...,
(3) KAI ANDREAN KAI FILIPPON KAI ..... KAI IOUDAN ISKARIWQ.

I expect the paragraph (1)-(3) to be a list of names.
(3) is a list of names. (2a) is a list of names, and (2b) is
an explanation about the listed names. Because  (2h),
as a sentence, is added  to a list of names, it looks strange.
But if we think (2b) as a parenthetical remark, it is acceptable.
However, (1) presents a real problem. It talks about Simon, without
first presenting his name. If I had

 SIMON KAI EPEQHKEN ONOMA AUTWi PETRON,

I would not complain, because I can take KAI EPEQHKEN ONOMA AUTWi PETRON
as a parenthetical remark.

Is there any way to make sense of the above construction?

Moon
Moon R. Jung
Sogang Univ, Seoul, Korea