1 Corinthians 7:9

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Tue Jan 7 21:36:11 EST 2003

At 7:58 PM -0500 1/7/03, Matthew R. Miller wrote:
>1 Corinthians 7:9 reads: ei de ouk egkrateuontai...  Most versions insert
>the English "cannot" in some form for "cannot practice self-control." I do
>not see that this cannot is warranted. Why not just "If they are not
>practicing self-control?" Does not "cannot" imply that they are not
>capable of resisting temptation? Thanks, Matthew R. Miller, Evangelist

Mr. Miller presented this very same question yesterday under the
subject-header, "If They Cannot Exercise Self-Control." I presented a
response to it then which I won't repeat since it's in the archives; others
are certainly welcome to offer alternative answers to the question.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/